OPM@PAGCOR Annual Performance Workshop
Background and Rationale
Since the 1980s, the local live music scene has not been generating the kind of public interest it did before. With the possible exception of a few top billed concerts and the TV-based reality shows, which also double as talent competitions, the local entertainment scene has barely gone beyond music revival concepts and mall promotional shows.
While many new singing artists are being discovered, very few are trained and exposed to the rudiments of performance craftsmanship that can hone genuine talent, versatility and professional discipline.
In their desire to discover new singing talents and promote more original Pinoy music materials, the Organisasyon ng Pilipinong Mang-aawit (OPM) and the Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corporation (PAGCOR) have partnered for a project that responds to the following objectives:
- To provide opportunities for the development and continuing exposure of very talented Filipino singing artists who deserve to be given full public mileage;
- To provide proper music training and cultivate the discipline of professional performing arts among new and emerging Pinoy music talents; and
- To provide professional and livelihood opportunities for promising Filipino talents.
Mechanics and General Guidelines
- The competition is open to all AMATEUR singers (has not signed any singing or talent management contract with any record label/company or talent management outfit) of Filipino or dual citizens who are 18 to 35 years old and who have not won any major prize in any national singing competition.
- The official registration form may be downloaded from either the OPM or the PAGCOR websites (http://www.opm.org.ph or http://www.pagcor.ph). The forms are also available, free of charge, from PAGCOR’s Casino Filipino branches nationwide.
- Applicants must submit complete application documents including accomplished registration form, documentary evidence or proof of citizenship and age such as scanned or photocopied passport or NSO-authenticated birth certificate (in the absence of passport); and any scanned or photocopied government-issued valid ID such as driver’s license, SSS or GSIS ID, postal ID, or school/company ID.
- Complete application package may be submitted via courier or thru email to the following addresses:
- Organisasyon ng Pilipinong Mang-aawit
Unit 4E, LPI Centre, 324 Capt. Javier Street, Oranbo, Pasig
Tel. No: (02) 633-0640/ (02) 631-1022
- PAGCOR Entertainment Dept.
PIRC, Building Ninoy Aquino Avenue Parañaque City.
- All applications should be received on or before the deadlines:
- Organisasyon ng Pilipinong Mang-aawit
- Qualified applicants will be notified via e-mail, snail mail and/or SMS advice to report for auditions and actual regional competitions in the following venues:
- Casino Filipino Tagaytay
- Casino Filipino Bacolod
- Casino Filipino Cebu
- Casino Filipino Angeles
- Casino Filipino Davao
- Casino Filipino Hyatt
- Casino Filipino Pavilion
- All qualified auditionees and official contestants shall be required to sing an Original Pinoy Music of their choice to be judged by the following OPM/PAGCOR Jury:
- One (1) OPM Singer-Celebrity Member/Officer
- One (1) PAGCOR Corporate Representative
- One (1) Casino Filipino Branch Representative
- The jury shall select 12 official contestants from all auditionees for each of the semi-final competitions in the above-listed PAGCOR Casino Filipino branches.
- Ten (10) official contestants from Casino Filipino Davao, Cebu, Angeles, Bacolod, Tagaytay and six (6) official contestants from Casino Filipino Pavilion and Hyatt in PAGCOR Regional Casino Filipino Semi-Final Competitions shall be awarded consolation prizes of Five Thousand Pesos (Php 5,000.00) and a plaque. The TOP TWO (2) WINNERS shall each receive Twenty-Five Thousand Pesos (Php 25,000.00) and a plaque each.
- In addition to their cash awards, the TOP TWO (2) WINNERS from the seven (7) PAGCOR Regional Casino Filipino Competitions shall be eligible to join the Competition Finals and will be awarded a full-scholarship grant to participate in the week-long OPM-PAGCOR Professional Singing and Live Performance Workshop and facilitated by the country’s top singers, music educators, concert directors, musical directors, and professional talent managers. The grant will cover round-trip transportation cost, shared accommodations and meals for the entire duration of the training, rehearsals for the Grand Finals and the Grand Finals itself.
- In the event that any Finalist from any of the PAGCOR Regional Casino Filipino Semi-Final Competitions cannot participate in the OPM-PAGCOR Professional Singing and Live Performance Workshop, the next highest-ranked official contestant from the same competition shall assume the slot in the workshop and in the Final Competition.
- Rehearsals and mentoring sessions for the Grand Finals shall be scheduled immediately after the 8-day training and workshop.
- The finalists shall be required to perform a personally chosen Original Pinoy Music competition song.
- The criteria for the Grand Final Competition are:
- Vocal Quality, Range and Flexibility (60%);
- Performance Technique, Confidence and Projection (25%);
- and Appearance and Audience Appeal (15%).
- A Grand Winner will be chosen by the panel of jurors during the Grand Final Concert to be mounted in the PAGCOR Grand Theater at Casino Filipino Parañaque featuring all 14 Finalists from the Casino Filipino Branch Competitions and selected OPM artists.
- One Grand Prize Winner shall be proclaimed by the OPM / PAGCOR Competition Jury and shall be awarded a cash prize of Php 300,000.00, a trophy, and a performance contract with Casino Filipino.
- Second Prize Winner will receive Php 200,000.00, a trophy, and a performance contract with Casino Filipino.
- Third Prize Winner will receive Php 100,000.00, a trophy, and a performance contract with Casino Filipino.
- The non- winners will get Php 20,000.00 each as consolation prizes and plaques.
- All OPM and PAGCOR employees are disqualified to join the competition. The Organizing Committee reserves the right to verify the eligibility of all applicants and contestants, at any given time, and disqualify any contestant or winner found guilty of falsifying application documents and/or for any reasonable grounds that may compromise the integrity of the competition.
- The decision/s of the OPM-PAGCOR Organizing Committee, Audition and Competition Juries are final and cannot be questioned or appealed.